Thursday, July 31, 2014

Doctor Appointment July 31, 2014

Another long awaited doctor appointment and once again I am being sent to an out of state doctor due to the complexity of all the various shoulder/scapular issues. In the near future I will have to go to Mayo Clinic in MN for a consultation for both shoulders/shoulder blades. My joints are basically working against each other so if you do work on the shoulder joint it is going to exacerbate symptoms to the shoulder blades, and vice verse, because neither is in good enough shape to take over the demands of the other. We know both sides do need surgery. It is now just a nightmare of trying to figure out what needs to be done to create less pain and increase function. We would also have to figure out which side makes more sense to have done first. Lord knows I would choose my left but when I think about all the demands I keep talking myself in circles.

We talked about possibly fusing the left shoulder blade but the doctor isn't comfortable committing just yet without me seeing the doctor at Mayo. Mentally, I know in the long run it is best to go for the opinion, but physically I wish I were in surgery right now. All this travel from state to state, and doctor to doctor over the past year especially, is hard on the body and I am getting worse as time goes by. I just want treatment to start already. I am really hoping it isn't a long wait to see this other doctor.

The increased motion in all directions with my neck bent on the right side definitely got a look. I didn't get any answers for why it happens. We were just told several times the next step is to go see the doctor in Minnesota for his opinion. The doctor I will see specializes in resolving functional disabilities by doing a lot of "crazy complex tendon transfers", allografts (cadaver tissue), and he also deals with patients who have connective tissue problems as well as problems with their brachial plexus. I was told he is compassionate and enthusiastic so hopefully this holds true; I have met a lot of arrogant not nice doctors over the years.

The shoulder evaluations always hurt a lot so today we are just taking it waaaay easy. Mentally we are whipped. There is so much energy that goes into preparing yourself for these types of appointments and it is always hard when you get news you don't want to hear. My mom is more optimistic than me. I'm more scared about being stuck like this and she reminds me that all is good because you know what the next step is and he didn't walk out on you; he is willing to help but he just wants other opinions first. She is right but it is still soooo frustrating.

We fly back home on Monday and we are going to do our best the next three days to try to not think about all the "what ifs" and enjoy exploring Boston and listening to their accents. Everyone knows I love Halloween and the movie Hocus Pocus so we are going to stop in the town of Salem one of these days. As long as we hit there I will be a happy camper. Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers, well wishes and encouraging words. They mean a ton!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan, I want to say that I get a lot out of reading your blog and I look forward to the posts that you write. I've been through a lot of shoulder difficulties too so I can identify with what you talk about.Thanks for your time and effort, your perserverance is pretty damn amazing.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative discussion. I am using back braces I feel comfort now . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete